Tuesday, June 4, 2019

ebooks and murderbots

Earlier today while eating lunch I finished reading Martha Well's novella All Systems Red.  The book is part of her murderbot diaries series and this is the first of those that I have read.  The story is narrated from the murderbot's perspective and details one surveying mission that it is contracted on as security.  What is interesting is the kind of self-consciousness the bot has.  It is able to act as a free agent due to a malfunctioning -- and later removed -- governor control but it masks this by behaving as though the restraints are still in place.  The bot is aware of its separation from both the humans and augmented humans around it, but a lot of this separation turns out to be self-imposed because it is wary of its own differences.  There is some sci-fi action but this usually works to underscore the bot's humanity.  I don't know anything else about this series, so I don't know whether or not this is part of an arc or if this is an offshoot.
The story is fast-paced and well-written.  The none of the characters are extremely well developed, but this is fitting given the bot's perspective and attitude toward the humans around it.

I mainly read this book because I had a $5 credit for an ebook and this looked promising.  I have owned e-readers in the past but have gone back and forth on e-books themselves.  There is something about reading a book on screen versus on paper that makes it harder to give my full attention.  The books seem more ephemeral, so I have tried to gear my reading in the same way.  I know that I will want to reread dense or difficult material and that I will be more likely to flip back and forth, so I generally opt for physical books when I know that I am going to need them.  The same goes for books that I know I will want to write about.  I remember enough about this book to provide some impressions, but I would be hard-pressed to go into much more detail than what I have here.
This is something that I have always wanted to get over, but I may be too trained to read the way that I do to break it.  I like the probability and the ability to always have a book or two with me on my phone, but I think I will continue to restrict these books to lighter fare or books, like All Systems Red, that give me a shot at a new author I may like.

No comments:

Post a Comment