Sunday, August 18, 2019

Bad Religion & Lawrence Arms


 Last weekend I went to see Bad Religion play with the Lawrence Arms at the Agora in Cleveland.  This is the first punk show that I have been to in a couple of years, having attended more metal shows recently.
This is also the first time I have seen Bad Religion play in maybe 15 years.  As I may have written about elsewhere (I write a lot of these in advance and bank them for some reason) I have a long history with this band.  To recap quickly: this was one of the very first punk bands that I ever heard and it was definitely the first that hit me really hard.  I won't get too far into that now, but it hit the right combination of speed, aggression, and thoughtful/witty lyrics for me at the right time.  I have seen this band more times than I can remember.
I think the first time I saw them was in 1995 or '96 at the same venue in Cleveland.  I would have gone with my brother and his friends.  This was also one of my first concerts ever.  Back then they used to play at the Agora pretty much every year around Thanksgiving.  I have also seen them play in Columbus at least twice and then at a couple of Warped Tours in the late '90s and early '00s.

The Lawrence Arms opened the show with a pretty good set.  I first discovered this band back in 2006 listening to their album Oh! Calcutta!.  I had this CD in pretty heavy rotation in my car for a lot
of 2006 and 2007.  I dropped off listening to them a bit after that but have always like returning to them.  Surprisingly, I knew a good number of the songs that they played for having only listened much to one album more than 10 years ago.
The 3-piece uses a lot out of call-and-response singing, making the band sound a lot fuller than most bands this size.  The drummer, Neil Hennessy also plays with an aggressive style, similar to Coady Willis of the Murder City Devils and a bunch of other bands.  A few highlights of the set: Chris McCaughan, the guitarist sang but never spoke and never looked at the bass player; Brendan Kelly, the aforementioned bassist drunkenly told the audience that they were going to play a song that only true fans would know because it was so new before launching into "The Devil's Takin' Names," a song from their 2006 album.

Bad Religion put on a great show.  Their sound was good and they played a good mix of early, mid-, and late career material.  Their style has changed some over the years, so it was good to see this mix. They put on a good show full of energy and Greg Graffin using the same corny dance moves and song intros that I remember him using 20 years ago.  I didn't recognize all of their songs, but I didn't really care because they fit into the show well and were still fun to hear.
One thing that I have realized about their music is that even though I started listening to their earlier works (I played Suffer (1988) and Against the Grain (1990) constantly when I was in high school), I have grown to enjoy their work from the early/mid-2000s a bit more.
There were a few albums I never bothered to pick up when founding guitarist Brett Gurewitz left the band for a time in the late 1990s.  But when Process of Belief came out in 2002, I was back on board. Gurewitz had rejoined the band by that time and he bad brought some new sensibilities with him.  The lyrics and much of the delivery was still the same but there was a bit more complexity to the composition of the songs.  This combination held true for their next two studio albums, The Empire Strikes First (2004), and New Maps of Hell (2007).  After that I lost track again so I don't have much to say about that.  Funny things is that I still think of these three albums as BR's "new" work even though some of it is approaching 20 years old.


When the spotlight hit Gurewitz as he ripped into the opening riff of the night, my first thought was how old he looked.  It was uncharitable but it was a first impression.  After listening to him play all night, though, I have to say that he does not seem old.  The music, some of it, still seemed current to me.  I guess I have gotten old, too.  They are just a few years ahead of me.
Highlights of the set: the blistering renditions of songs that I have known for years (including: "Anesthesia," "Supersonic," "Overture/Sinister Rouge," and "I Want to Conquer the World"); scouting out all of the 40-somethings kitted out in their punk rock gear (yeah, I was one of these), some towing along their own kids; watching a very dogged security guard try to keep people out of the area behind the sound booth with a flashlight.


 2 dudes enjoying the show


No comments:

Post a Comment